Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Writer's Perspective




When I decided to go back to school for my Master's degree, I wanted to do something that was related to what I love. Writing! I have always had a passion for writing. Writing was a my gateway from all the worries of the world. I could travel to any place I wanted to go, to runway from the reality that this world was not truly all it cracked up to be. When you writing you can become the stage for the way your readers may be felling at the moment, you can write the words to the song that many are trying to sing. 

So while searching the internet, I stumbled upon this article, Sustained by Fiction While Facing Life's Facts, written by Alice Hoffman. Alice Hoffman discussed how her love for writing was so deeply embedded in her soul ,that it gave her the strength she need during her difficult time.  I agree with her when she said, "Writers don't choose their craft; they need to write in order to face the world". Writer's use their work as a way to vent, cry, and  seek comfort when it feels like their world is crumbling to millions of pieces. When she ended her article with this paragraph, "I wrote to find beauty and purpose, to know that love is possible and lasting and real, to see day lilies and swimming pools, loyalty and devotion, even though my eyes were closed and all that surrounded me was a darkened room. I wrote because that was who I was at the core, and if I was too damaged to walk around the block, I was lucky all the same. Once I got to my desk, once I started writing, I still believed anything was possible. " It summed up a lot of  things a writer consider when they  put the pen to paper. 

One musical group that compliments the article is One Republic. They have a song called "Secrets". Secrets how you can give all the secrets away in your writings or songs. I absolutely love this song!
When we are writing, we have to always consider the audience, capture their attention and make an impact. 

Here is a poem I wrote titled, Don't Tell  where I became a voice for thousands of abuse women:

Don't Tell 
By Tiesha Ward 
  
I have a secret, can you promise to keep it?  
Last night, a man touched me, he touched me  
in ways that make me feel like a real woman  
I begged and pleaded! Can you stop please?  
For I am already starting to bleed  
I constantly told him that it wasn't right  
That he needed a more experienced woman to  
fullfill his needs at night.  
I told him time to time again," I'm too  
young for this"  
Instead, he ignored what I said and forced  
me to give him a kiss  
I began to wonder as time slowly went by  
But everytime I think about what he did to  
me, I can't help but to cry.  
If only my mom knew what he's done to me,  
since I was ten  
By the time she finds out I'll be having  
his twins  

This poem was about being the voice with actually being a victim. I was never a victim but I want to bring awareness that these things do happen everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment